It seems judgement day for sports presenter Robert Marawa’s career at the SABC may be very close.
The presenter’s fate has been uncertain at the public broadcaster for a while now and he is set to attend a meeting with his bosses this week.
Robert said he had been told of a meeting on Wednesday‚ for which he is awaiting confirmation.
“There is a meeting I was told of planned for Wednesday. It was initiated by the SABC but I am not certain who will attend that meeting or what the agenda of the meeting is. The meeting is also yet to be confirmed‚” he said.
Sunday World has previously reported that the SABC’s group executive for sports Sully Motsweni has been unhappy with Robert’s behaviour and has informed senior executives that she plans to summon the presenter to a meeting.”
“I wouldn’t know or comment on things that have not been said to my face. I also don’t know what “behaviour” they are referring to because I go to the SABC‚ do my job then go home. I also don’t have time for hearsay‚” he said.
The sports presenter took to Twitter to vent his frustrations over the public broadcaster’s decision to suspend his producer Beverly Maphangwa. He shared that he would “remove” himself from the show until the matter is sorted out.
While sports fans wait with bated breath for the SABC to decide on the future of sports presenter Robert Marawa’s stint on Metro FM, the public broadcaster is keeping mum.
Marawa dumped his duties last week in solidarity with his producer Beverly Maphangwa who was suspended by the SABC, allegedly for playing SuperSport content on the Metro FM sports show despite instructions from management not to do so.
According to weekend reports, the SABC was set to have a meeting yesterday to decide Marawa’s fate. However, the SABC has refused to comment further about the issue, preferring to deal with Marawa directly.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said in a short statement: “The SABC is dealing with this matter directly with Mr Robert Marawa and will not comment any further until this matter is resolved.”
On the other hand, Marawa told Sowetan he had not spoken to his employers. His show yesterday was presented by Mpho Maboi. He later told TshisaLIVE that he would stand firm on his decision to stay off air until the public broadcaster addresses what he deems a “grossly unfair” suspension of Maphangwa.
Sowetan’s sister newspaper Sunday World reported that Marawa was facing the axe from the SABC after he stayed away from work without leave last week.
After Maphangwa’s suspension, Marawa reportedly refused to work with a producer appointed by management.
The award-winning presenter said there had been concerted efforts to drive a wedge between him and Maphangwa over the past few years.
Marawa’s recent run-ins with the SABC are well documented.
In April it was reported that Marawa gave his Metro FM bosses an ultimatum to give him powers to change the name of his show and to fire his producers. It was alleged that Marawa made these demands in an e-mail to station manager Sibongile Mtyali. But the sports broadcaster dismissed the allegations as “hogwash”. “They [the management] asked us to suggest a new name for the show because the MTN contract has come to an end and we can’t use 083Sports anymore … I submitted my new name suggestion but they never came back to us to say if they’ve accepted it or not …”
When Marawa was off air for two weeks in April, other SABC sports presenters took turns in hosting the show. On June 5 the show was filled with music as Marawa attended the Naledi Theatre Awards at Gold Reef City. – additional reporting by Mcelwa Nchabeleng