Manchester United are in talks to sign Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo from Juventus.
BBC Sport understands a move to Manchester City will not happen for the 36-year-old.
Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri confirmed Ronaldo had said he “no longer has any intention” of playing for the Italian giants.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Ronaldo “knows that we are here” during a press conference on Friday.
Ronaldo signed for Manchester United from Sporting Lisbon for £12.2m in 2003 and scored 118 goals in 292 appearances for the club.
During the press conference early on Friday, before news of United’s approach broke, Solskjaer said he was surprised the five-time Ballon d’Or winner wanted to bring his time in Italy to a close.
He added that Ronaldo had been spoken to by United midfielder Bruno Fernandes, his Portugal team-mate.
“I didn’t think Cristiano was going to turn out leaving Juventus,” Solskjaer said. “It’s been speculation this morning, speculation the last few days, of course.
“I know Bruno has been talking to him as well. He knows what we feel about him and if he was ever going to move away from Juventus, he knows that we’re here.”
In Other News: IDOLS SA MAKES FINAL DECISION ON SOMIZI’S REPLACEMENT
Usually, when there is a scandal, celebrities attached to major brands are laid off temporarily so they can deal with their issues. In most cases, such brands do not want to associate themselves with people whose images have been tainted beyond repair. Such is the case with Somizi Mhlongo who has reportedly been given the boot by Idols SA and he will be replaced by celebrity guest judges.
His fans have been hopeful that after the dust has settled, Somizi Mhlongo would come back on the show. However, according to Daily Sun, it seems as though Somizi will not be returning on the show. Somizi’s career has been in turmoil ever since damning audio got leaked where his estranged husband Mohale Mhlongo accused him of. Learn more