Themba Maseko is the only person who came forward to accept African National Congress secretary general Gwede Mantashe’s invitation to come forward with information about the Gupta family’s alleged meddling in state affairs

Maseko confirmed it was him in reply to questions on Twitter‚ asking why so many people were silent.


“I did make my submission‚” he tweeted‚ responding to a query directed at him from Londoloza Songwevu‚ who asked‚ “kanti why didn’t submit your written submissions to @GwedeUncle madoda

After Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas and former MP Vytjie Mentor publicly stated earlier this year that the Guptas had offered them cabinet positions‚ Mantashe had said the issue was being taken seriously and called on those with evidence to come forward.

“It was unfortunate that only one person could make a written submission on the matter‚” the ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) said in a statement yesterday‚ following its meeting from Friday until Monday.


themba+masekoThe Gupta family has been accused of using a proximity to President Jacob Zuma to ensure lucrative state business.

The Sunday Times previously reported that Maseko‚ a former Government Communication and Information System CEO‚ had been instructed by Zuma to meet the Guptas as they needed his “help”.

Maseko told the Sunday Times he was willing to testify before an inquiry should it be set up‚ adding he had been motivated by the response he had received after breaking his silence.

“The response from ordinary people was positive.

“People in government praised me for doing what they did not have the guts to do‚” Maseko was quoted as saying.

Comment with your Facebook