Taxi bosses in Gauteng have condemned the shooting at the Mall of Africa which left two people dead at the weekend.
Speaking to TMG Digital‚ the SA National Taxi Council’s (Santaco) Gauteng general secretary‚ Ralph Jones‚ said there had been no confirmation that the shooting was related to taxi violence.
“We condemn the shooting as Santaco. But at this stage we do not know for certain that it is taxi-related‚” said Jones.
“There are investigations still taking place. We have not received any information that can direct us that this is a taxi shooting…if such violence takes place‚ people are going to run away from us.
“Our business is going to be affected and people around the mall will not feel safe.”
Two people were killed on Sunday when a group of men arrived at the mall and approached a group of taxi drivers and bosses who were standing outside the mall.
The men asked for taxis to Joburg before they started shooting.
Police have not dismissed the possibility that the shooting could be related to taxi violence.
In May‚ three people were shot and wounded during violent confrontation between taxi associations over a route dispute. – TMG Digital