THE KZN Department of Health has reacted quickly to allegations of a male nurse attacking a woman in labour.
The department announced that a nurse implicated in the assault of 21-year-old Lindeka Zulu (21) at Nkonjeni Hospital in Ulundi has been suspended pending the completion of the investigation.
Spokesman Sam Mkhwanazi said: “The department has received, with shock and dismay, allegations of the assault of a female patient.”
He said the head of department has demanded a report from hospital management.
Mkhwanazi said that they will not hesitate to act against any health workers found guilty of abusing patients.
Lindeka’s fuming mother, Sibongile Sibisi, came to Daily Sun last week. She said her daughter and grandson were in a critical condition.
She claimed Lindeka was beaten up by a male nurse who was part of the medical team who helped her daughter give birth.
The 45-year-old mother from Vryheid, KZN, said her daughter had been transferred from a local clinic as there were complications during labour.
She said she was unhappy when she found that her daughter’s face was severely swollen and she could not pee or walk properly.
Daily Sun reported the story on Friday. Department of Health spokesman Agiza Hlongwane said he was still speaking to the hospital’s management.
Sibongile said she was happy with the department’s swift reaction.
“But it breaks my heart that my child will be have to spent three more weeks in hospital. I have been told that Lindeka and her child will not be released until their condition has improved.
“I hope that the culprit will be punished.”