Three people were confirmed dead in a horror crash on the N2 near Queen Nandi drive in Durban on Monday.
The accident involved two trucks and four light motor vehicles. It was not clear how the accident was caused.
Marketing manager at Crisis Medical Kyle van Reenen said the three dead were all male. The men had been trapped under one of the trucks.
He said seven additional people suffered injuries that were minor to moderate, while one person was in a critical condition.
“The driver of one of the trucks – a cement mixer – was in cardiac arrest when we arrived. After an hour, paramedics managed to bring him back. He is in a critical condition in hospital. The driver of the second truck is also in a serious condition,” said Van Reenen.
He said the scene had not yet been cleared and the road was closed.
Describing the scene shortly after the incident, Van Reenen said there was “absolute chaos”. The cement mixer on one of the trucks had also come off.
Netcare 911 Chris Botha said in a statement that when they arrived at the scene, they found accident debris and the twisted frames of the vehicles spread over about a hundred metres.
Botha said only one lane of the N2 north was open and traffic was backed up as far as the M7 for several hours while the police investigation was under way.
Earlier KwaZulu-Natal emergency services spokesperson Robert Mackenzie said traffic in both directions on the N2 was severely affected.