A one-pot chicken dish that zings with the flavours of soy sauce, garlic, ginger and chilli, topped with cool sweet-and-sour cucumber
Difficulty: Easy, 2 hours
125ml (½ cup) soy sauce
45ml (3 tbsp) rice wine vinegar
30ml (2 tbsp) honey
5ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
2 anchovy fillets
15ml (1 tbsp) tahini
5cm piece fresh stem ginger,
5 cloves garlic, crushed
10ml (2 tsp) sesame oil
12 deboned chicken thighs
1 x 200g packet rice noodles
Black sesame seeds to garnish
1) Combine all the ingredients, except the chicken, noodles and sesame seeds, in a large casserole or deep baking tray.
2) Arrange the chicken on top. Brush the top of the chicken with some of the sauce.
3) Bake for 1½ hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is crispy.
4) Soak the rice noodles in hot water as per the packet instructions.
5) Drain, then stir through the pan juices to coat.
6) Serve the chicken and noodles with the cucumber salad.
7) Scatter over the sesame seeds.
sub_head_start Cucumber salad sub_head_end
125ml (½ cup) rice wine vinegar
30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
10ml (2 tsp) sugar
2 spring onions, sliced
1) Halve the cucumber lengthwise, then scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut into slices and pat dry with a paper towel.
2) Mix together the vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
3) Add to the cucumber along with the spring onions.