A ‘reckless’ mother who left her sick baby girl alone downstairs while she drank whisky and had the nasty, has avoided jail.
Yvonne Adkins left three-month-old Chanelle lying in her baby rocker in the lounge for nine hours while she went upstairs with a lover she had met at a bus stop just two weeks earlier, a court heard.
She awoke the next morning to find her baby dead and paramedics who attempted to revive the infant discovered she had been dressed only in a tracksuit and left without a blanket or bed clothes.
The judge told the 32-year-old she had made a ‘catastrophic decision’ to leave her daughter unattended – despite knowing she suffered with vomiting and reflux.
Sparing her jail, Judge David Fletcher added: ‘Your desire to engage in some activity with someone you hardly knew resulted in you leaving your child downstairs when you knew it was not appropriate to do that.’
Prosecutor Andrew Easteal said the infant had been left her rocker on the evening of May 7, 2014, before a man, named only as Peter, came round to the house in Meir, Stoke-on-Trent, at 8.45pm.
‘He was someone she became acquainted with at a bus stop two weeks prior,’ explained Mr Easteal.
‘At 10pm the defendant and Peter went upstairs. The two had intercourse and drank whisky and she fell asleep.
‘The defendant was well aware her three-month-old daughter suffered from reflux and vomiting and other complications.’
The court heard Adkins’ lover got up and went to work at 5am while she fell back to sleep.
She only discovered her daughter was cold and not breathing at shortly before 7.30am.
Paramedics were called but were unable to resuscitate the child and Chanelle was pronounced dead at 8.05am.
Mr Easteal added: ‘The paramedic noticed Chanelle was not dressed properly to go to sleep and was dressed in a tracksuit.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3194828/Three-month-old-baby-girl-died-reckless-mother-drank-whisky-upstairs-sex-man-met-fortnight-earlier-bus-stop.html#ixzz3i5tUfe9O
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook